Historically, Empire Hall was designed by August Foell and built in 1894. for Henry W. Heuermann, who used the space for his dry goods store for several years. In 1908, while Heuermann remodeled the southern part of his store for playing moving pictures, he briefly ran The Empire Billiard Hall – our beloved venue’s namesake – out of the building’s basement. The commercial first floor was divided into two spaces until 1943, when Arthur Hess redeveloped the entire ground level for Hess Hardware, which operated for over 30 years in the space. This large combined ground floor is complemented by the storefront’s strong columns (selected by Foell) which allow natural light to pour into the space through the building’s large display windows. The Empire Hall event space, with an open floor plan and lofted area, the possibilities are endless. Featuring high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, a bar area, and a mezzanine, this fully renovated space is truly a blank slate and ready for anything.