This 19th century building remains remarkably intact, with its original cast iron storefront and slate roof. This 2500 sq. ft. space features two new HVAC units, maple floors and two bathrooms. It’s perfect for a retail shop or office!
2500 sq. ft.
This commercial and residential building was built in 1895 by owner Jeremiah Thompson and building contractor H. R. Becker. Throughout the 1890s Thompson used the space for his butcher shop, while residing on McNair Avenue. In 1911 George W. Starke purchased the building for his butcher shop and grocery store. He had been located at 3403 California Avenue at the corner of Cherokee Street since 1901. After Starke’s death in 1933 the business was taken over by his son, and Starke’s Market remained in operation at this location until 1964. The associated one-story brick garage behind the building, on Oregon Avenue, was built in 1916 by George Starke and the plaque above the door bears his name “G. W. Starke”. Throughout the 1960s and 70s the building was occupied by the Cherokee Furniture Company.